- Cook with wine. In your glass and in your recipe. There’s no feeling in the world that says, “I’m basically a french chef” then one hand holding a glass of red and the other hand adding a generous dash to a pan of sizzling onions. Seriously. (Speaking of wine, use the correct glasses with your alcohol. Unless you’re at a barbecue, pour your beer into a tall, cold glass with an inch of foamy, creamy head. Pour your wine into a delicate wine glass just begging to be swirled. Picture yourself in Mad Men and drink scotch from a fabulous tumbler. I guarantee you’ll feel awesome.)
- Have nice PJs. “You know, nothing makes me feel sexier/more awesome than coming home from a hard day at work and putting on a grimy old t shirt and big underwear” said no one ever. You only need a couple items to make sleep and lounge-time feel extra awesome: a chemise with a soft robe or draped cardigan , a couple sets like this and this, something sexy and luxuriously expensive, and of course, something warm. A good plan would be to find 2-3 PJ tops, 2-3 PJs bottoms and 1-2 Night Gowns, one light robe or cardigan, one thick robe and a pair of slippers – keep the colors similar, mix and match for ultimate “I have my life together” feelings.
- Clean out your purse, clean out your car and keep them that way. When I hop into my jeep and it smells like mold and is filled with old receipts and dirty coffee cups I feel like I smell like mold and am filled with trash. A quick trash pick-up, a shake of the mats and a new air freshener are probably all it will take for a pick-me-up. A clean car is seriously a luxury and a tidy purse says, “I care about me so you should too.” (especially when you keep some Honest Co. Hand Sanitizer and a pack of Spry inside so every time you open it up you smell orange minty perfection) Do it. It feels good.
- Speaking of cars, make your favorite music readily available when you drive. Please don’t go out and buy a $10,000 sound system, but definitely keep what it takes so that you can have a happy, musical driving experience. For me that means a CD case full of music mixes my friends made for me + a tape deck converter to plug into my cell phone for instant Spotify action.
- Speaking of music, just go ahead and make it readily available everywhere and totally awesome. Go ahead and create a couple mixes on your laptop or cell phone so you’re ready for any one of this situations at a moments notice: dinner party, a party with friends, a party with family, holiday, something chill and something to get your blood pumping to clean the house or kill your workout. You’re welcome to check out my spotify account for inspiration, though beware, it needs streamlining. Oh, and one last thing, get some good earbuds (I like to keep the style simple, adult and classy – no glitter please) and keep them in your purse.
- Eat al fresco (dine outside). Feel fabulous with a glass of pinot grigio and a soft summer breeze in your hair.
- Do you drink coffee? Learn how to make it better, yummier: try a Chemex, a French press or a higher quality k-cup. Buy a beautiful mug that fits perfectly in your hand and makes you smile every time you see it. Don’t just chug it down, but sip slowly. Notice how the steam dances off the surface and the feeling of warm ceramic in your palms. Breathe and enjoy. (Don’t like coffee? This concept works with anything that you enjoy on a daily basis. Take something that you enjoy but rush through or take for granted, and then make it special and awesome. Turn a routine into a special occasion)
- Buy fresh flowers for yourself. Put them somewhere that you’ll see them every day. This is especially wonderful when you’re having a bad day.
- Splurge on that amazing lotion that makes you feel like a total queen every time you use it. And then use it. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Use it every single day, because guess what? Every day is a special occasion.
What are some ways that you make every day special? How do you create that feeling of awesome? That life upgrade”?