Bad days are the worst. Even more annoying, when a bad day turns into a bad week, nothing goes right, you’re stressed up to your eyeballs and all you want to do is binge Netflix and eat junk food. Little steps for pep aren’t going to solve all your problems, and, disclaimer, these little tips aren’t going to cure anyone’s depression or illness. But I can also almost guarantee that these steps will brighten your spirit, even if just for an hour or an evening. And everyone could you use a sunshine break when their head is full of clouds. Consider this your bad-day restart:
- Turn off the TV. Put away your phone.
- Brush your teeth, brush your hair, put on real human clothes (PJs don’t count.)
- Turn on your happy music. You can find My Happy Music right HERE.
- Clean up. Set the timer for 15 minutes and tidy up your home or your bedroom. You’ll be amazed what you can get done in 15 minutes and you’ll already feel so much better with a made bed, clear surfaces and washed dishes.
- If it’s a nice enough day (read: not blazing hot, snowing or in the middle of a hurricane) open the windows, let some fresh air blow away all those netflix-inducing cobwebs.
- Light a candle. Stare at the flame for at least 15 seconds, take a few deep breaths.
- Take your time as you brew some coffee, a cup of tea, hot chocolate or whatever beverage you love. Something to make you two hand sip and go, “Mmm…” In fact, I want you to actually two hand sip that drink and give me a verbal, “Mmm”. Close your eyes, savor the heck out of that moment.
Not that you’re pepped, here’s a few great, healthy things you can do:
- Go for a walk.
- Call your mom, best friend or sister for a chat.
- Cook up a yummy, nourishing meal.
- Bask in some sunshine (always a win in my book!)
- Write in your journal.
- Do a fun project, embrace your DIY side and don’t even think about worrying if it turns out perfect or not.
- Organize a drawer, your closet or even a whole room.
- Read a good book.
- Draw something, even if you think you’re bad at it.
- Go out with friends!
Take some time for self-care on a bad day. You don’t have to be a tough guy all the time, sometimes it’s ok to step back, step down and truly pause.